Monday, August 07, 2006

Refresh Whore!

No pictures with this post, sadly.

Been leveling RDM a bit with a friend named Guankim (BRD). My RDM had lingered at 23 for a long time (not exactly sure why but remember my last RDM party being in the Delkfutt's Tower with Kiobi as PLD). Then I dusted my RDM off to main heal for some LS (LordsofHydra) members. Brought my RDM to 35. Then dusted my RDM off again when Guankim could not find a healer (had been partying as THF to 35 before that). Since then I've "staticed" with Guankim and reached the echelons of Refresh Whore last night.

So we ended an interesting party in Crawler's Nest 2 nights ago. Last night he said we should party again (knowing how I really wanted to use my refresh scroll up!). So we get a THF and then wait around looking for a tank. *sigh* Never one when you need it. After about an hour we get a NIN/WAR, a SAM/WAR, and a WAR/NIN to compliment the THF/WAR, BRD/WHM, and RDM/BLM. So seeing I was to main heal again (I really need to dust off my BLM so I can blast things) I switched to /WHM. CN was super crowded so I suggested Gustav Tunnel which was empty. We go there and proceed to have a wonderful experience party doing about 4-5K an hour (the first hour with the band was about 6K). Needless to say it was late where everyone else was. So our WAR/NIN had to leave. We get a BLU/NIN Chafarrra (who Guankim and I had partied with the other day in Garlaige Citadel) to replace them. The SAM/WAR stays for her level then has to leave. So does our WAR/NIN. Unfortunately the SAM/WAR set up her own replacement without telling Guankim. So Guankim tells one of the 2 WAR/NIN he got that we have a different replacement. Unfortunately it turns out the SAM/WAR has a WHM/BLM (with an underleveled sub) as her replacement. The poor WAR/NIN now is in the role of the tank with the THF not sure who to SATA off of. The WHM comes on in again without any food (not even cookies). The first few fights were painful. He used only Cure II and Cure III (no regens) and I was pulling off the poisana faster than him (of course I had been main healing up to this point so was still in the mode). We finally figure out that the WAR/NIN will first voke and hte THF will SATA off the BLU/NIN.

Turns out the WHM (with the underleveled sub) was not a bad guy. I offerred some pointers (and hopefully didn't make him upset) and he started using regens. I gave him my stack of cookies so he could get MP back faster. And we worked out who would cast certain enfeebles. Now to give him his credit, no one died. We started making chain #4 and #5 again. And he had to main heal with a WAR/NIN who probably was not expecting to be sole tank. The sad thing for me was that he was decked out in a linen robe and level 12 pants. He said he put all his gil into spells (which was commendable). But I warned him that he should seriously think about setting aside time for farming and getting some better equip (like seers) and saving for his erase spell (which is darn cheaper now than when I bought it) because parties would probably be expecting this in the future. He mentioned that he had been only playing for 3 weeks. Now how someone got to level 39 in 3 weeks as a WHM is beyond me.

Now by this time I had actually achieved that amazing plateu of 41. So I was a refresh whore. And I was horrible at it! I actually think about 3 others in my party were RDMs so I felt scrutinized too. I have a feel for when haste will wear but I have no feel for refresh yet. So there were times when I didn't even notice my refresh gone. I apologized profusely. But all in all I made it to 42 last night. And finally, finally got rid of my refresh scroll that has been in my MH forever!

Thank you to Guankim who has been gracious enough to party with me all this time and form all the parties (I hate forming parties). Of course it helps when your selling point is a RDM + BRD. All I can say is I want a WHM in my next party because it is stressful mainhealing and keeping enfeebles, nuking and a refresh cycle going on 4 people. I was riding my convert timer to the hair! Oh and as a little lol @ myself. I didn't realize I received Convert at 40! And the WHM kept telling me, you're scaring me dude when you do that. Ah, a man after my own heart!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay, refresh! Yay, convert! Yay, heart attacks for the entire party!

:)

Anonymous said...

<3 -- [All right!] [Tarutaru] [Refresh] [Bio][Tachi]!!! LOL -- Yeah, good times ^^ So yeah, looking to do this BRD + RDM thing tonight, and we caught up to Kenshin's Monk, so looks like we could have a 3 person semi-static.....wonder if Chafarrra's ready again! xD

Anonymous said...

A little selfish hint on the refresh cycle...(if you want it, if not, ignore this post ^^)...since you will always be including yourself. I tend to make myself the start of the cycle, and notice when mine wears, so will have to recast self, and then just start the chain again. :) I set everyone else's with about 2 extra seconds between cycle, that way if I'm casting a dispel or something, I'll get it on in a decent time still. Ususally I'll go: self, PLD, WHM, and sort the other jobs. Poor BLMs, Since most I've partied with tend to overnuke thus far, I tend to drop their refresh to lowest on my priority scale. But seriously, they tend to have to conserve and can rest, so it's not as uber important on them unless it's a manaburn style party. The main things are to keep self, PLD, WHM, and (imho) BLU. The BLU is so versatile, if anything goes screwy, they have a spell for it (hopefully equipped). Sheep Song for links, and they can take a few hits if it aggros them. Healing Breeze (or others) if AoE's start to wipe the PT, and plenty of damage-enabling if PT needs to finish it quickly, (such as tank D/C *ahem). Just a few gil worth there, I'll shut up now, I'm rambling xD

Darrett said...

Hehe. I did cast it on myself. I'm just not used to looking for the refresh Icon. Hehe. With haste I kind of have a feel for when it's going to wear and I look for the text in the chat log. For Refresh I have no idea when it's going to wear so I don't notice the MP sign leave. I think I need more practice..hehe.

Jowy said...

Omg xD It should be the omg-levelotherjobs week. Gratz on your 41 RDM, Convert and Refresh.
And welcome to a new ....pain i think xD
Reds are awesome <3

Tuufless said...

Hooray for Refresh! :D

Personally, as a RDM myself, I dislike handling both a Refresh and Haste cycle, since I find it does not give me enough time to slip in enfeebles early enough to make a difference. Usually, if there's a WHM in the party, I ask the WHM to handle the Hastes (especially in the later levels), and I take the Refreshes.

That being said, Haste's duration is longer than Refresh's, so I tend to concentrate on Refresh first, and then use that as a guide on when to expect Haste to wear off.